Monday, November 11, 2013

London - The City with the Love Hate Relationship

Sometimes London is hard. Sometimes it's amazing.

It's hard being so far away from some of the most special people in my life, especially on weeks like these. But then I just remind myself of how many awesome opportunities I've had and got at the moment; the memories I've got from the last two and a half years.

Ma and Pa and me on Wellington waterfront, trip home July 2013
When I was training at uni to become a teacher, I never in my life thought I'd be teaching deaf kids in London. The London part had crossed my mind briefly, but teaching kids with complex needs? Na-uh.

An impromptu trip to the travel agents one lunch break landed me with a one-way flight to London five months later. I had my 21st, graduation ceremony, leaving one of my favourite jobs and my departure all with a matter of 10 days. Yeah, doing things by halves isn't completely my style.

I've left some of the best friendships behind, like this one...

One of the best. Wellington, August 2013
and this one.

The last goodbye. Wellington airport, August 2013
But then I've made some pretty freaking awesome friendships over here too. This girl is alright I guess...

Sara and Dan's engagement party. October 2013
And so is this bunch.

Danielle's birthday. October 2013
I've been able to travel to destinations I had only ever dreamed of. Porto, France, Malaysia, Stockholm, Budapest just to name a few...

'Borrowed' from Cara from our latest adventures to Budapest. October 2013
I've been able to meet some very loved family members in the UK who I've only ever heard of my whole life. I've been able to celebrate my grandparents' lives, as they all came from Scotland or London.

My precious Great-Aunt Nell. She's one in a million. July 2011.
In amongst all the business of London, I've been finding it so important and I guess soothing, to remember all of these amazing times and opportunites I've had. 

Like meeting my second cousin, Patti Clare, who plays Mary Taylor in Coronation Street! October 2013

In a way, it's kinda like the gift that keeps on giving. 

I can keep travelling. People can keep coming to visit. I can keep working at an amazing school. I can keep building a lifetime of experiences and memories. 

Basically, I can just keep on, keeping on. 

Tower Bridge, January 2013.


3 comments:

  1. I didn't realise how much I love it until I left. I can't wait to go back for a visit one day...........xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep. I miss that crazy, mad, beautiful city, but also never wanted to raise my kids there...as soon as we found out we were preggers, the decision to leave and return to NZ was a no-brainer, despite having loved every minute of being in London. Make the most of the opportunities you have there x

    ReplyDelete
  3. i feel like you were reading my mind when you posted all this... i have been feeling this exact way all weekend. i sometimes have to remind myself of how much of an amazing experience it is to live in another country and all the good parts of why were here. we have a pretty good little london fam jam going on here x

    ReplyDelete