Tuesday, August 16, 2011

The not so dairy-free Marble Cake!

I made this for a treat to go with our Haggis and Neeps this evening! It doesn't really go, but I thought I better contribute something!

I found the recipe here but adapted it to make it yummier! I couldn't find the cocoa at Tescos so I bought some cooking chocolate which I melted instead! 

The recipe is...

Ingredients
225g butter, softened
225g caster sugar
4 eggs
225g self-raising flour
3 tbsp milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 tbsp cocoa powder

Note: after typing that out, I thought it said 1 TABLESPOON of vanilla extract not a teaspoon- whoops, looks like we've got an extra vanillary cake!

Note 2: when stirring, it works way better if you have the Mamma Mia soundtrack and the first 3 Glee soundtracks on shuffle. It makes the whole cake making activity more enjoyable.

Heat oven to 180C/gas 160C/gas 4. Grease a 20cm cake tin and line the bottom with a circle of greaseproof paper. If you want to make life easy, simply put all the ingredients (except the cocoa powder) into a food processor and whizz for 1-2 mins until smooth. If you prefer to mix by hand, beat the butter and sugar together, then add the eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Fold through the flour, milk and vanilla extract until the mixture is smooth.

Divide the mixture between 2 bowls. Stir the cocoa powder into the mixture in one of the bowls. Take 2 spoons and use them to dollop the chocolate and vanilla cake mixes into the tin alternately. When all the mixture has been used up (and if young kids are doing this, you'll need to ensure the base of the tin is fairly evenly covered), tap the bottom on your work surface to ensure that there aren't any air bubbles. Take a skewer and swirl it around the mixture in the tin a few times to create a marbled effect.

Bake the cake for 45-55 mins until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Turn out onto a cooling rack and leave to cool. Will keep for 3 days in an airtight container or freeze for up to 3 months.

So my version didn't have the right amount of milk. It kinda spilt over the spoon and went into the bowl then proceeded to keep pouring over onto my feet and the floor. 
I HATE milk. 
Always have, always will. 
I CANNOT stand the smell or taste, so this nearly resulted in a vomit marble cake! 
Never fear, this cake IS vomit free!

And I just used a block of cooking chocolate which I melted half of, and then smashed the rest of it up to throw in as an extra treat.

It'll be interesting how it tastes as I don't eat dairy. A small portion of cake should be fine, but if it's good then I'm doomed! 

I just checked on the cake now and apparently the cake tin leaks...


But....


Ta Da!


The during and after!



No comments:

Post a Comment